Monday, February 14, 2011

New and True

Hi, my name is Dottie and this is my first Blog. When determining my subject matter for my Blog, I decided to identify something near and dear to my heart. That is a dream of owning a B&B. No, it is not the Bed & Biscuit my dog Brutus is dreaming of, but a real live dream of mine, as a Bed & Breakfast.

My husband and I purchased a rather large house in spring of 2007. We live in a little village called Weyant in central Pennsylvania. The village is so small we don't even have our own post office and we use the one closest to us in Imler, PA. When we purchased the house, it had 19 bedrooms and 9 baths.

Located at the crossroads of Heritage Road, King Saint Clair Road, Burnt House Road, and Millers Cross Roads, we are very noticeable in the community. Everyone in the area knows the BIG yellow house on the corner as either the Davis General Store or the Ski Barn.

The house is perfectly square with each of the four sides measuring 50 foot each. The house faces south with three front doors, four rather impressive windows flanking the door closest to the parking area on the east, and two additional windows flanking the third door near the west side of the house. The central door has two sidelights and all three doors have a transom window above it. The second story on this side of the house has five windows and the attic boasts three dormers.

Both the east and west sides of the house each have five windows on the second level and all four sides have three attic dormers. The north side of the house has a fire escape door that replaced one of the five windows on the second floor and the west side has a main central door on the first floor. So all in all, we have six exterior doors, 12 attic windows, 19 windows on the second level, and another 19 windows on the ground level, for a grand total of 50 windows in the house.

Heritage Road House as we often call it is pretty impressive. In the next post I will share how my husband and I both jumped feet first into this project.

1 comment:

  1. Is there skiing near you? Wish I could travel. I bet you have the rooms fixed up so cute. you are so good at crafts and I love the quilt you made me. I sleep with it every night.So letus know what is near so maybe we can let people know and come to your B&B.
    love, Vickie

    ReplyDelete